Fight or Flight? - About My Tremor or Involuntary Movements

Why are they shaking, especially my hands?

Is it tremor or just panic attacking me? Or is it both?

So, I surfed the internet and googled up Tremor. What I found is this definition from WebMD:

Tremor is an involuntary shaking movement that is repeated over and over. Although it may affect any part of the body, tremor most often affects the hands and head. Your voice may also shake. Sometimes the feet or torso may also shake.

DANG! 




And this thing was confirmed about some weeks ago, where the movements were so disturbing, I couldn't help but reporting it to my Mom (usually I never tell scary things to her, or she will go bananas). So we went to Eka Hospital and got the full report about it. The doctor said the movements are tremors and they are on duty when I encounter these things:
  1. Anxiety Disorders on Strike: it's the natural mechanism owned by our body, which is also called the "fight or flight". The doctor said it is our body's way of preparing for a precarious situation, such a dangerous situation, or threatened. It is caused by increased adrenaline in the blood stream too. However, if the fight or flight mechanism continues to be driven in excess, then the person can suffer from an anxiety disorder. This shaking can cause considerable suffering, and we may ask "Why my bod is shaking?", especially if we try to remain calm.
  2. Low Blood Sugar: I know about this and sometimes get alarmed of it too, especially when I was fasting or missed the breakfast, the shaking is scary! If I have not eaten for a while, or feeling shocked after a traumatic event or injury, blood sugar levels can be low, and this can cause tremors,
  3. Excessive Caffeine: Yes! Who needs to stop  sipping some coffee now? Me! At least less coffee is better. Twice in a week, it is. So, as we know, caffeine acts as a stimulant, which prepares the body for response "fight or flight". If you drink excessive caffeine, it will have too much energy and not be able to soothe your hand so that this could be the cause of the tremor as well.
  4. Hyperthyroidism: The doctor said that, weight loss and fatigue are symptoms and signs that someone may have an overactive thyroid or in medical terms is referred to as hyperthyroidism, which is a condition in which the body's metabolism is too fast so it will quickly burn too much energy resulting in involuntary movements.
That's what he told me, while there are some other causes, like physical exhaustion, nicotine, Parkinson, alcohol withdrawal, multiple sclerosis, brain damage, and nerve damage. But the stage of tremors in my case is safe enough for me to just cut down caffeine and exercise more. The doctor then asked about my daily activities to see which one of it is the trigger of my tremors. The insecurities are also taken as the examples, like the scary feeling when you cannot finish your job and stuff. But he figured out that cutting down caffeine in a month would lessen the tremor.

But you know what, a cup of coffee is a liquid kiss for my brain. It stops functioning, if I skip a single cup of coffee. So I told him, what about twice a week? He answered, 

'It is always your call, because I already give you the solutions', he said.

 Why is he that baper, tho? lol But, I just can't stop!!


Popular posts from this blog

My Star by Robert Browning

The Era of Puritanism (1564-1660): Literary Works

Gender Stereotypes and Performativity in Frozen Movie