Discussing Feminist (Again)! :)

I told you in the course of this paper that Shakespeare had a sister; but do not look for her in Sir Sidney Lee’s life of the poet. She died young—alas, she never wrote a word. She lies buried where the omnibuses now stop, opposite the Elephant and Castle. Now my belief is that this poet who never wrote a word and was buried at the cross–roads still lives. She lives in you and in me, and in many other women who are not here to–night, for they are washing up the dishes and putting the children to bed. But she lives; for great poets do not die; they are continuing presences; they need only the opportunity to walk among us in the flesh. -- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own (1929)

I've been reading some various feminist articles as I am going to compile some feminist perspectives that I found in Mad Max movie with the help of some of my goodreads friends. The feminist issue is all over the place if you ever watch it. And I am sure I once read this remarkable piece of Woolf's, A Room of One's Own before I even went to Uni. It seems quite familiar as now I'm reading it. But Mad Max does not have any connection with the theme of her book. Just want to share those beautifully-written lines here. However, Woolf also empowers women from patriarchy system prevailed at the time; in which women must have money and also her own room. In this case, she spoke on behalf of her job, a fiction writer. And I hold myself not to read any review of this book on goodreads (it's hard, when you have those friends who love showering you with spoilers).

But seriously, you really need to read this masterpiece!

“Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman.”

Popular posts from this blog

My Star by Robert Browning

The Era of Puritanism (1564-1660): Literary Works

Gender Stereotypes and Performativity in Frozen Movie