The Catcher in the Rye Review

So, this is it. The Catcher in the Rye review that I made as soon as I finished the last page of the book. Check it out!


"All the two of them were eating for breakfast was toast and coffee. That depressed me. I hate it if I'm eating bacon and eggs or something and somebody else is only eating toast and coffee." 

I hope you guys can get something enlightening from the quote I cited from this book. Yes, meet Holden Caulfield, a poor little rich boy with a lot of attitude and lot of dated profanity. All I can say from what he said about the nuns he met is he really does have generosity attitude. He feels guilty about being a rich kid. It can be seen from his explanation about his possession of Mark Cross suitcases and the mentioned job of his dad, who is a corporation lawyer. And, he also bounces between expensive boarding schools, which is not cheap.

He really is a nice guy. This book basically speaks about himself, with first person of pov, Holden himself. This book is then used by him as his journal which tells about all this madman stuff that happened to him around last Christmas (the story begins on December). 



Right when I reached the first page, about him telling us about his another ax (read: kicked out) for failing all his classes except English, I can sense journal-ly thing from this book. Salinger is an accomplished author, but this book clearly shows a 17 year old boy's kind of writing style. Holden clearly speaks as a 17 year old boy who suffers from disappointment that he gets from phonies and hyenas. It is like he is speaking directly to all of us, which makes me feel some of his writing truly represents what is also in my mind, when I positioned myself as a 17 year old girl. Boy, this book is so meaningful and far away from corny.

As for the title, the first mention I get of this mysterious catcher is when he overhears a little kid singing "If a body catch a body coming through the rye." It makes him feel mot too depressed, because he thinks this kid is singing little kids (song). Until in several chapters later he shares a new fact about it. This is when his sister corrects him: first of all, it is "if a body meet a body"; second, it is not a song, it is a poem by Robert Burns (1796).

So I googled the poem. And here it is:

"Coming thro' the Rye" (1796)

Coming thro' the rye, poor body, 
Coming thro' the rye, 
She draiglet a' her petticoatie
Coming thro' the rye.

O, Jenny's a' wat, poor body; 
Jenny's seldom dry; 
She draiglet a' her petticoatie
Coming thro' the rye.

Gin a body meet a body
Coming thro' the rye, 
Gin a body kiss a body—
Need a body cry?

Gin a body meet a body
Coming thro' the glen, 
Gin a body kiss a body—
Need the warld ken?

And I also googled the Scottish dialect like the gin for when, draiglet for drags, wat for wet, and ken for know until I gasped myself to understand the poem.

All I can say is this Jenny is out in the rye with a wet body. She was dragging her petticoat—and she "meets" (has sex with?) someone. Does she need to cry or get emotional about it (losing her virginity?) Or does the world need to know about it? If it doesn't, then casual sex is fine.

And I was like holy sh*t!

The title is more like telling us about casual sex, which is agreeable and understandable. Holden is worried esp when he overhears a little kid singing the song. That is why he wants to be the catcher in the rye; to catch all of those kids playing in the rye. And I know why he wants to be the catcher. It is because of his insecurity for being a virgin and boy, a nice guy, 'cause he thinks he doesn't want to have sex with anyone, unless he is madly in love with her. Otherwise, he would consider himself as a phony like his roomate at Pencey, Robert. He really is a nice guy actually who concerns about humans behavior and their personal traits. He seems hating almost everything, excluded his lil sister Phoebe and his late brother, Allie.

You really need to read this book as if you think, you loathe the world you live in now and some phonies and stupid adults. I recommend this book so you can really see that much, about the world, that sometimes we find is cruel, nasty, disgusting, and so on. 

Popular posts from this blog

My Star by Robert Browning

The Era of Puritanism (1564-1660): Literary Works

Gender Stereotypes and Performativity in Frozen Movie