I Was Here by Gayle Forman Review

I made this review for my Goodreads account, but I think the sight of composing view of my blog is making me to add some more about it. So, here it is, my amateur review of I Was Here book from Gayle Forman. As usual, a honest review from the sassy side of me.

The cover speaks about the inside of this book. It's not pretty, in my opinion.

I never leave a book, whether it is good or bad. Yeah, I mean the worst one. And I send this book a deep condolence of being considered as the latter one. And I have a LOT of reasons for that. So, I just needed to finish this book, as soon as I reached the chapter 3. I already had a gut feeling that this story would end terribly and just inevitably disappointing. 

Did you know what? I think some stories about suicide on Wattpad are even worth reading than this one. You know why, it is because the relationship between Cody and Meg. Meg is a keeper, we all know that and it is just easy to see from the description made by Cody. Then what is the use of Cody there? Cody is helpless and useless. Just because she struggles a lot than Meg, doesn't mean a friend like her cannot see Meg's depression! It is just ridiculous. The story from the beginning only shows how terrible Cody was. How come a best friend (as Forman mentions it all over the place) not knowing the struggle of the other? Real friendship would know that!!! Except Cody is not halfheartedly befriended Meg and that is another case, which I had hope I would find that by the end of this book. But, no, I cannot find it!! Cody is too ignorant and insensitive. She is self-centered too. And she always used Tricia and her father as the reasons of EVERY single thing that she thinks burdening her. And as much as I hate to say this, but Cody is only using Meg's happiness including her parents as an escape from her miserable life. Hello, it is not only you who is suffering, so please get out of le spotlight, please!

Second reason is Ben the a**hole. I hate it when this book only offers you less plot twists. And the chosen one is offering this guy who sleeps with his groupies. As soon as I reached the line where  he expresses his assholeness about how often he sleeps with his 'friends', I was like what the fuck?! I never thought the future of this book would involve his presence anymore. I always thought he is like additional character to this book. Hell no- he has the character of a perfect match for the protagonist/main character from a romance story book. As soon as I reached chapter 6 or 7, it was like BOOOM! Someone throws a grenade to my brain, and let it think otherwise. Cody shows her interest towards Ben!!!!!! what the f*ck!!!! and this is exactly the phase when I strongly recommend you not to read this book! Things were getting even worst when Cody sleeps with him. I feel like wanting to vomit on her face. Cody is the main character. She is the major one in this book but why did Forman give her bad personal traits? Like hello, Meg is your fucking friend, so why did you sleep with a guy who becomes the reason she commits suicide??! Are you a moron or what??! and I still tried to think maybe Cody would revenge on behalf of her late friend by dumping him out as soon as he is crazy a bout her. But no, it didn't happen at all. And then I know this saying, asshole meets asshole. So yeah. Even Meg's roommates know better than Cody how she really was depressed!! 

Another reason is Meg's parents who did not want to reach out her depression. Why did they protect Cody's feeling instead of their own daughter? What is wrong with this book??! It leads you always to disappointment as soon as you hit final page. Just utterly disappointing!!! I am too mad to even write this review and then see a lot of reviewers think this book is hella good. What is so special about Cody until Meg's parents don't even want to help Meg? And it disgusts me even more when finding out that this story is a real one. I was like what theefuuuck this sick Cody even exists in real life! 

Oh one thing. I don't know why this book also mentions about suicidal process, like showing the readers how Meg did it. It is just bad. This book may encourage someone with depression out there to commit suicide too. Disappointing! Too disappointing! 

It is like reading some Wattpad stories. Even some stories on it have a lot of interesting plot twists. I don't understand why people say it otherwise. When I was reading chapter 4, I could even guess Cody and Ben would end up together. And I don't like the first pov, Cody, ewh. She seemed careless and a little bit ignorant. And the hate-love relationship is too boring. It's just too predictable.

1 star out of 5.

I strongly don't recommend this book. I also don't put this book on my instagram account of Bookish Bookstore. As a good client who offers some good imported books, I need to at least read a lot of YA genre books 'cause they are so popular and some of them have been adapted to movie (Paper Towns in 2 months, yeay!) So, I never want to put this book on display. What a waste.

Popular posts from this blog

My Star by Robert Browning

The Era of Puritanism (1564-1660): Literary Works

Gender Stereotypes and Performativity in Frozen Movie