The Great Gatsby

After reading the Great Gatsby book and watching the movie again, I can say that it is indeed possessed my mind greatly that it takes up a whole lot of my pinkish thing to think about Tom and Daisy, as the antagonist characters in the movie. How could they become so careless? And Daisy? What is she looking for from Tom Buchanan actually, after his affair with the poor-cheap-bitchy-kind of a woman, Myrtle? How could she become so cheap and greed for craving the loves from Gatsby and Tom too! People blame Gatsby, who is actually the protagonist one in here. Can you see the relevance with today's world condition, my dear friends? 

James Gatz, or this Jay Gatsby, in the end gets blamed for the affair, the hit and run and the death caused by Myrtle's husband who actually should pull the triger to Tom's fucking head! Gaaaaaah! I hate the ending, but lucky, there is this Nick Carraway, as the cousin of Daisy who retold everything about the truth. But yeah, once again, the truth is bunged up and the bad one wins! Hooray to that. How ironic.

I consider thinking about Daisy is the lowest kind of a lady at that time (1920s) than Myrtle. Well, Myrtle only loves Tom. She only loves him, and it is not for the money, while Daisy is being a bitch for throwing Gatsby's a lot of effort, money, and life. It is indeed a drama, romance, yet tragic work from the great Ferdinand Scott Fitzgerald. Cheap Daisy. I am so full of wrath toward her. Geez.

But then I relate the characters to today's world. To this era where people still craving for a lot of money, I can symbolize Daisy as the money. While now, we all know, money is evil, destructive yet people would go killing to get a lot of it. Gatsby's obsession towards Daisy is every bit as destructive as the obsession of wealth today. The Buchanans and Gatsby perfectly show how they are craving for Daisy. 

There is one line I love when Nick writes about Gatsby;


“Only Gatsby, the man who gives his name to this book, was exempt from my reaction -- Gatsby, who represented everything for which I have an unaffected scorn ... No -- Gatsby turned out all right in the end; it was what prayed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and the short-winded elations of men.” 

― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

But I sense queerness towards Nick and Gatsby. Yeah we know Nick is like in love with him. But then I think about it again, who doesn't love him? 



Popular posts from this blog

My Star by Robert Browning

The Era of Puritanism (1564-1660): Literary Works

Gender Stereotypes and Performativity in Frozen Movie